Lions Club of South Windsor



Lionism began on June 7, 1917 in Chicago, Illinois when a group of 25 independent business clubs responded to an idea presented by a young insurance agent, Melvin Jones. He proposed the consolidation of individual Clubs into a strong influential club with the goal of helping their communities and serving their fellow man.

In October of 1917, the Lions first convention was held in Dallas,Texas, with twenty-three clubs participating. In 1920, Lions Clubs became International when clubs were formed in Canada. Lionism then spread to China, Mexico and Cuba in 1926 and 1927, Central America in 1935, South America in 1936, Europe in 1948, and Japan in 1952.

We were challenged by Helen Keller to eliminate blindness worldwide.

Today, Lions Clubs International has become the largest, most active service organization in the world, with a membership of over 1.4 million men and women in 178 countries on every continent.

The South Windsor Lions Club was sponsored by the East Windsor Lions and was Chartered in 1961. We are currently enjoying our 54th year. Our club is 40 members strong and welcomes anyone interested in becoming a Lion.

Home About SW Lions History. Membership Meetings Contact Us Lions Eyeglass Donations LCIF calendar link Pancake Breakfast Sia the Possibilities Golf Tournament Golf Tournament Application Craft Festival Spaghetti Dinner Read to Your Baby